I really like the idea of using muffin tins to make something besides cupcakes. At a recent B&B stay, we were served breakfast eggs (with cheese and salsa) that were cooked in muffin tins. So when I saw the following kid friendly recipes in the February 2006 issue of Parenting magazine, I was glad to finally have some recipes to try out.
Yield: 20 taco bowls
- 10 6-inch flour torillas
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1.25-oz package of taco seasoning mix
- 8-oz. package shredded reduced-fat monterey jack cheese
- 8-oz. package shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Trim about 1/2 inch from the edge of each tortilla with clean scissors or kitchen shears. Push the trotillas into nonstick muffin tins and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick pan, saute turkey over medium heat, breaking apart large chunks and stirring occasionally until the meat is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add taco seasoning mix and 2/3 cup water and simmer meat about 5 minutes.
- Fill each tortilla cup with 2 tablespoons of cooked ground meat and top with a large pinch each of shredded cheeses.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until the cheese is melted and cups start to brown.
- Serve with salsa.
- Use another kind of ground meat, meat substitute, or shredded pork or beef. This would be a great recipe for leftover meat as well.
- Use corn torillas instead of flour – better tasting and more fiber.
- You can also serve with avocados.
- Try using non-fat refried beans instead of meat.
Yield: 16 pizzas
- 13-oz can premade pizza dough
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup shreeded reduced-fat mozzarella
- 16 slices pepperoni
- Preheat over to 350 degrees. Roll out pizza dough to a rectangle about 10×13 inches. Cut out circles with a 3 inch cookie cutter.
- Press each circle in bottom of muffin tins and bake 10 to 12 minutes or until dough is golden. Remove from oven.
- Top each piece of dough with 1 tablespoon each of pizza sauce and cheese. Top with 1 slice of pepperoni.
- Increase oven to 400 degrees and return tin to oven for 5 to 10 minutes until cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Substitute veggies for pepperoni.
- These would make great finger food at adult parties, too.
- Great use for leftover sauce.
|Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed.|